Get more vegetable into your day with our stir-fried cauliflower “rice” bowl, which is also friendly for the carb-conscious crowd. You can enjoy all the flavors of fried rice–egg, carrots and peas–on a bed of savory cauliflower “rice.” If you crave a protein boost, serve with a side of lean chicken or broiled shrimp.
- 1 head cauliflower (2 pounds or 1180 grams), cut into florets
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) canola oil, divided
- 4 large (50 grams each) eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 small (100 grams) carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) fresh ginger, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup (240 ml) fresh or frozen sugar snap or baby peas, thawed and drained
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) low-sodium, gluten-free soy or tamari sauce (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) toasted sesame oil
- 1 green onion, sliced diagonally
Place cauliflower florets, in batches, in a food processor and pulse until it is the size and texture of rice. Set aside.
Heat 1/2 teaspoon canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add eggs; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes or until set. Transfer to a plate; thinly slice and set aside.
Wipe skillet clean; heat remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil over medium heat. Add carrots, ginger, and garlic. Cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high. Stir in cauliflower and sugar snap pea pods. Cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes until mixture is hot and cauliflower is crisp-tender.
Combine broth, soy sauce, and sesame oil; stir into cauliflower and cook 1 minute. Stir in reserved eggs; cook 1 minute until heated. Sprinkle with green onions and serve immediately.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1 1/4 cups
Per serving: Calories: 277; Total Fat: 11g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Monounsaturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 212mg; Sodium: 523mg; Carbohydrate: 33g; Dietary Fiber: 10g; Sugar: 7g; Protein: 14g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 936mg; Iron: 15%; Vitamin A: 198%; Vitamin C: 187%; Calcium: 14%