Vegan Potato Salad
the cashew mayo:
- Basically this vegan aioli i made last week using soaked cashews, avocado, garlic, dijon mustard and lemon juice, blended into the fluffiest creamiest dressing ever. Easy peasy!
- Don’t feel like making your own aioli ? Just use your favorite store bough or vegan mayo instead!
How to Make Vegan Potato Salad
- Start by dicing your potatoes and carrots and boil them with some bay leaves in heavily salter water until tender. Don’t worry, all the extra salt will drain away and the potatoes will be perfectly seasoned before even being dressed.
- Add some frozen green peas at the last minute of cooking just until warmed through.
- Drain all the veggies then mix together with pickles or roasted red peppers, fresh herbs and coat in this cashew aioli. Best served chilled after the flavors have had a chance to marry.
can I freeze potato salad ?
Not recommended. The textures and colors will change and once defrosted the potatoes will be quite mushy. However it does keep well in the fridge for a couple of days so you can make it in advance if you prefer.
What to serve with potato salad?
Grilled corn tomato avocado salad
Vegan creamed spinach
Heirloom tomato and cucumber salad
P.S. As always, if you make this recipe please come back here to rate it in the comments section, snap a photo and tag me with #VeggieSociety on Instagram. It totally makes my day ~ Florentina Xo’s
watch the how to video:
Vegan Potato Salad
- 1.5 pounds golden potatoes
- 2 large carrots
- 1 cup green peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup cornichons (French style pickles) ,or roasted red peppers
- 2 leaves bay
- 1/3 cup fresh dill , chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh chives , snipped
- sea salt & black pepper to taste
Cashew Aioli Mayo
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 avocado
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 lemon, juiced (or 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar)
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup filtered water
Make the Cashew Aioli Mayo:
Soak the raw cashews in hot water for 20 minutes, drain then transfer to a powerful blender (I love my Vitamix for this) with the rest of the ingredients. Puree until fluffy and smooth on the smoothie setting. Refrigerate until needed.
Prepare the Salad:
Peel the carrots and rinse them well together with the potatoes. Use a sharp knife and cut them into small dice. Transfer to a medium soup pot and cover with water. Add the bay leaves and a heavy pinch of sea salt then bring to a simmer. (You want the water to taste like sea water so the potatoes will be perfectly seasoned inside. Do not worry, all the extra salt will drain away just like when we cook pasta). Boil the potatoes and carrots until tender but not mushy. Drain in a colander, discard bay leaf and allow the veggies to dry off in their own steam for a few minutes.
If using frozen peas just run them under some hot water to defrost for a minute or so or add them to the pot with the potatoes and carrots in the last minute of cooking. If using fresh green peas you can chose to steam them separately or cook them with the potatoes and carrots for a few minutes.
Transfer the cooked potatoes, carrots and peas to a large mixing bowl together with the chopped cornichons (or roasted peppers). Drizzle with the aioli mayo and combine until all the veggies are coated well. Add in the fresh dill and adjust seasonings with sea salt and black pepper.
Serve with a sprinkling of fresh chives or green onions on top.
- If you like to thin out the aioli you can do so by adding some of the pickling juice from the cornichons or roasted peppers.
- Don’t want to make the cashew aioli ? No problem, use our classic homemade vegan mayo or use your favorite store bough mayo instead!