The Best Brunswick Stew recipe is a thick barbecue-flavored stew made with ground beef, potatoes, corn, beans and tomatoes.
THE BEST BRUNSWICK STEW
The story is told that this stew was invented in Brunswick County, Virginia. So most folks here in Virginia lay claim to this hearty stew. Although, I’ve had the discussion with some friends in Georgia who believe wholeheartedly it was invented there. It’s a great, hearty, rib-sticking stew. Like any good, old recipe with lots of history, it has many, many variations.
WHAT IS BRUNSWICK STEW?
Brunswick Stew is a tomato-based soup that contains different types of vegetables and beans. It usually has a smoky flavor from the barbecue sauce and contains one or more types of meat. It’s really a thick vegetable soup with meat.
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS STEW
- When it comes to the veggies in this, I’ll say that I really love it with okra. However, I still haven’t quite gotten my hubby to enjoy okra as much as I do.
- This is delicious with leftover pulled pork which is how you’ll usually find it served in Virginia.
- If you want to use chicken or other white meat with this, just substitute the beef broth with chicken broth.
- You can make this stew then transfer over to a 7-quart crock pot to keep warm.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- ground beef
- crushed tomatoes
- barbecue sauce
- canned corn
- canned northern beans
- canned pinto beans
- beef broth (or stock)
HOW TO MAKE BRUNSWICK STEW:
In a large stock pot, brown and crumble ground beef along with diced onions over medium heat. When the ground beef is cooked, drain excess grease. Put ground beef back into large pot and start adding all the other ingredients.
Add in crushed tomatoes pinto beans, northern beans, corn, beef broth, diced potatoes and barbecue sauce. Give it all a good stir.
Cover pot and simmer on medium heat for about 30 minutes (until your potatoes are fork tender.)
CRAVING MORE? GIVE THESE RECIPES A TRY!
- STUFFED PEPPER SOUP
- CREAMY HAMBURGER HASH SOUP
- LOUISIANA SHRIMP GUMBO
- EASY CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
- ONE POT BEST EVER BEEF STEW
- JAMAICAN OXTAIL STEW
- CROCK POT TORTELLINI SAUSAGE STEW
- THE BEST CHEESEBURGER SOUP
- OLD-FASHIONED CHICKEN & DUMPLINGS
- CREAMY CHICKEN NOODLE STEW
- INSTANT POT BEEF STEW
- THE BEST SHEPHERDS PIE
THE BEST BRUNSWICK STEW
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (18 oz) bottle barbecue sauce
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 (15 oz) cans corn, drained well
- 1 (15 oz) can northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, undrained
- 5 cups beef broth or stock
In a large stock pot, brown and crumble ground beef along with diced onions over medium heat. When the ground beef is cooked, drain excess grease.
Put ground beef back into large pot.
Add in can of crushed tomatoes, pinto beans, drained northern beans and corn.
Next add 5 cups of beef broth along with diced potatoes and bottle of barbecue sauce.
Give it all a good stir.
Cover pot and simmer on medium heat for about 30 minutes (until your potatoes are fork tender).
Originally published: November 2012
Updated & republished: October 2020