The classic summer flavor combination! Use fresh strawberries and garden rhubarb together in this easy Strawberry Rhubarb Bread. A quick bread for breakfast or dessert!
We love quick breads. In the fall we make pumpkin or sweet potato bread. At Christmas you’ll find Grinch bread and eggnog bread baking in the oven. In the spring we enjoy carrot cake bread and in the summer? Strawberry Rhubarb Bread!
What is quick bread?
Quick bread is any type of bread that does not have yeast. It is leavened with baking soda or powder and doesn’t have to rise. So although they do have to bake for about an hour in the oven, they are considered “quick” because they don’t have to rise.
Is quick bread breakfast or dessert?
You get to choose! Quick bread is also known as sweet bread and loaf cake. It is definitely more like a dessert than a “bread”, but it is also similar to muffin textures which are often served at breakfast and brunch.
What is strawberry rhubarb?
Have you ever wondered what exactly strawberry rhubarb was? It’s actually just a combination of two June fruits and veggies: Strawberries and Rhubarb! Rhubarb has a very sour flavor so it combines well with sweet strawberries. You’ll often find the two in pies, cobblers and jams.
How to Make Strawberry Rhubarb Bread
- Mix the wet ingredients and the dry ingredients separately. This help you not to overmix the batter.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet and mix just until combined.
- Toss the strawberries and rhubarb with 2 tablespoons of flour. This helps the strawberries not sink to the bottom of the bread during baking.
- Then fold the strawberries and rhubarb into the batter.
- Grease and flour a loaf pan, then add the batter to the pan.
- Mix up the crumble and sprinkle it on top.
- Bake the bread at 350º Fahrenheit for about an hour. Watch it closely…the exact time will depend on the type of pan you are using, the size and how your oven heats.
How can you tell when quick bread is done?
There are 3 ways to tell when quick bread is done.
- Most of the time, we simply touch the top center of the bread. If it springs back and feels firm, the bread is done.
- You can also use a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread. It should come out without any batter and very few crumbs.
- You can also test quick bread with an internal thermometer! Breads with butter, milk and eggs should be cooked to about 200º Fahrenheit.
**We LOVE our Thermoworks ThermaPen to quickly test bread temperatures. This probe thermometer is AMAZING. Get it here.**
Powdered Sugar Glaze for Quick Bread
Powdered sugar glaze is the easiest part of this recipe…and it adds such a special touch!
In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, vanilla extract and 3 tablespoons of heavy cream. Add more heavy cream until the glaze is a drizzling consistency.
As the glaze sits it will form a crust on top so if you don’t want to drizzle it right away, cover it well.
**Pro Tip: You can use a lower fat milk if you’d like. You probably won’t need as much because it is thinner.**
I mean just look at that crumble layer and drizzled glaze.
How to Make This Recipe Lighter
Now I’ll admit…my favorite part of this bread is the crumb topping and powdered sugar glaze. However…if you are looking to save a few calories, leave one of them off. Or leave both of them off!
Please realize that the crumb topping and glaze add a lot of sweetness and flavor to the bread. If you choose to make it without, the bread will not be very sweet.
How do you store fruit bread?
This bread is safe to store in an airtight container at room temperature for 48 hours. If you want to store it longer, you should refrigerate it.
Can you freeze bread?
Yes! This bread freezes well. Wrap the bread in plastic wrap, then wrap it again in foil or place it in a plastic zippered bag or storage container.
When you are ready to defrost the bread, allow it to thaw completely before opening the container or bag. This will help the bread stay fresh and not dry out when defrosting.
Best Rhubarb Recipes
- Rhubarb Slab Pie
- Rhubarb Coffee Cake
- Strawberry Rhubarb Blondies
- Rhubarb Crisp Pie
- Rhubarb Bread
Best Quick Bread Recipes
- Gingerbread Loaf
- Cottage Cheese Walnut Bread
- Banana Bread Recipe
- Pistachio Bread
- Strawberry Bread
- Peach Bread
- Apple Bread
Tools You Need:
- Loaf Pan: The size I like is 9×5, but you can use 8×4 also.
Strawberry Rhubarb Bread
For the Bread:
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup thinly sliced rhubarb
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
For the Crumble:
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons salted butter (softened)
For the Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-5 tablespoons heavy cream
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium bowl, stir together the sugar, milk, oil, egg and vanilla. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
Fold the rhubarb and strawberries gently into the batter.
Pour the bread batter into a greased and floured 9″x5″ bread pan.
Make the crumble by mixing together the flour, sugar and butter in a small bowl. This mixture will be crumbly.
Spread the crumbs on top of the bread batter in the pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the center of the bread should come out clean. Allow the bread to cool for 10 minutes, then remove the bread to a wire rack to cool completely.
After the bread has cooled, make the glaze.
Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, vanilla and 3 tablespoons of heavy cream. Add more heavy cream (one tablespoon at a time) until the glaze is the consistency you'd like.