This is a recipe for the preparation of Tomato Rice in the Microwave. However, you can modify it and prepare the normal way too, if you do not fancy using the Microwave. This is a mildly flavoured rice and goes well with any gravy or raita.
2 cups long grain rice
1½ tsp mustard
1 tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp fennel seeds
12-14 curry leaves
6 pods garlic
2-3 green chillies
1½ tbsp ghee
2 big Onions
5 big tomatoes
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp chilli powder
Salt to taste
3 cups water*
2 tbsp corrainder leaves
2 tbsp roasted cashewnut
- Place the washed rice and water in a microwave cooker. Add salt and cook on high for 15-20 minutes. Let it stand for 5 minutes, then open it. Fluff it up with a fork and keep aside.
- While the rice is cooking, chop finely the garlic, onions, tomatoes, green chillies and corriander leaves and keep aside for later.
- Take ghee in a microwave cooker and add to it mustard, cumin and fennel seeds. Microwave at high for 3 minutes.
- Add the curry leaves, garlic and green chillies. Mix well and microwave for another 2 minutes.
- Next, add the onions . Mix well and microwave for 2 minutes.
- Now, add the tomatoes and microwave covered for 4 minutes, till mushy. Add the chilli and turmeric powder and microwave for another 2 minutes.
- Add to this the cooked rice and mix in gently. Microwave at 80% power for 2-3 minutes.
- Just before serving, mix in 1 tbsp of the corriander leaves.
- Serve hot, garnished with the remainder corrainder leaves and roasted nuts, with any raita or gravy of your choice. I would recommend this lip smacking Kozhi Vartha Kari or this delicious Veg Makhanwala.
*Adjust the water according to the instructions on the pack if any or based on previous experience.
Ideas and tips
- Be careful not to overcook the rice. The grains should be separate.
- Adjust the number of chillies used according to their pungency or to suit your palate.
- I have used the Milton microwave cooker, but you can use any microwave safe dish.
- You can use roasted peanuts instead of cashewnuts, for garnishing.
If you do try it out, be sure to leave me your valuable feedback in the comments below and if you like this recipes, be sure to share this post using the social media buttons provided.